As I write this, our only RC track in the in the Portland metro area is closing due to the landlord tripling his rent. With the closing, watching social media explode with everyones opinions as to why the track is closing is downright hilarious..
When I read posts from people that live in their parents basement, will no actual business acumen saying things like "if it was a clay track, it would still be open" Yeah brilliant, that would really help when your rent soars to over 10k a month.
Tacoma has an amazing clay track that has been there for a very long time, and thank god Scott knows how to run a business. Other than that, the days of indoor clay are over in PDX. Get that through your head. The industry is changing as we speak. I know change is hard for some of us that have nothing else in our lives to worry about, but carpet and astro are the future of rc.
From a standpoint of leasing a building for an rc track. Which do you think an owner of a building would be more receptive to? I want to lease your building and lay some carpet down and race rc cars in it, or I want to lease your building and bring in about 6 truck loads of dirt, pour water on it, and use chemicals that we have no idea what they are on our tires to race.
You do all understand that the reason track owners open up tracks is because they love the hobby. You aren't going to get rich opening a track, if you run it correctly you can have a nice living as long as you get support from your racers.
I would also like to call out the jerk who took it upon themselves to get Dave's closed. Dave's was a summer tradition for most of us, and because of you that is gone too. I hope you are happy in your bitter little life.
If someone else does decide to open a new track in the area, think about it this way. We have about 4 million people in Portland proper. Don't just market to the racers, market to the masses. If you can't get 80 people to come out a couple times a week, then change your marketing. You need a place that parents feel safe dropping their kids off for a few hours. You are after entertainment dollars. You are up against movies, arcades, camping, biking, and things like that. This is not nascar, this is a hobby.
You also have two tracks in the area, Ron in Salem, and Scott in Tacoma to copy. There is a reason that they have weathered every storm. Ask them!
As for all the people bitching, I hope you have a nice time rebuilding your car this winter over and over. Why would anyone want to open a track here with the type of idiots constantly bashing any new track, even though they don't ever race there.
The days of PRCR and Top Gear are gone. Both worked because of the short course fad. Remember when there were 100 entries of just short course, guess what? That's gone. It isn't that the surface has changed, it's because the fad is gone.
Every racer here needs to make an effort to bring out friends and their kids to race. You can buy a slash for 200 bucks ready to run. Throw a cheap battery and cheap charger and you are into it for less than $250. We need to have a huge novice class to keep the hobby growing. Stop thinking you are going to be some top RC racer and sit and bitch in the pits, and maybe take a walk around and use your knowledge to help a new racer. I see way too many new people sitting alone, and the "expert" racers turning up their noses at them because they don't have the right brand.
So now we have two tracks within 45 minutes of Portland. Salem and Albany. It's 30 mins door to door from pdx depending on traffic to Salem and another 15 more to Albany. I hope you will support the tracks there, and stop with this petty BS.
Racing is supposed to be fun, but there are some of you that are just bitter. Stop and look in the mirror. Is it really that bad to race in a heated building, when it's pouring down rain on carpet or turf. First world problems.
To those of you that support and help the hobby, I take my hat off to you. I would say that 95% of the people in the hobby are amazing and friendly. What the other 5% need to figure out is that when you post negative shit on the internet, new people read it and get a bad taste before they even get to the track.
My mom always said " if you don't have anything nice to say, shut the hell up" Well I made that up, but seriously. Think to yourself before you post, is this going to help or hurt the hobby, or am I just being a big baby and need to get a life.
Let's hope there is someone out there willing to take another chance on RC in PDX, and if they do, don't tell them how they should run their business. Because if you have your own ideas, then maybe just open a track yourself.